Strategy: Identifying the right funding scheme
We help our clients obtain funding through public grants, focusing mainly on European and national funding instruments within the fields of research, development and innovation (R, D & I). Due to the large number of EU funding schemes available, research organizations as well as large, small and medium enterprises are often faced with the challenge of identifying a funding instrument appropriate for their R&D, technology and/or innovation initiatives. We assist our clients with the “what, why and how” of each funding scheme and help them find the best fit for their project's concept, ensuring their chances for success are maximized.
Examples of Research, Development & Innovation financial instruments we provide expertise for:Horizon 2020 (H2020):
- Description: Horizon 2020 is the largest EU Research and Innovation programme to date, making nearly €80 billion of funding available over a period of 7 years (2014 to 2020).
- Scope: The programme is structured around three core themes: (i) Support for “Excellent Science”; (ii) Support for “Industrial Leadership”; (iii) Support for research aimed at tackling “Societal challenges” (e.g. Health, demographic change and well-being; Secure, clean and efficient energy; Climate action, environment, efficient use of resources and raw materials);
- Budget: €80 billion (over the 2014-2020 period);
- Description: The SME Instrument helps high-potential SMEs develop groundbreaking innovative ideas for products, services or processes with a definite European dimension. The goal of the instrument is to bridge gaps in early-stage funding and R&I; it also helps accelerate the implementation of such innovative ideas.
- Scope: The SME instrument supports close-to-market activities, and provides full-cycle business innovation support from the stage of business idea conception and planning (phase I) over business plan execution and demonstration (phase II) to commercialization (phase III).
- Budget: €2.8 billion (over the 2014-2020 period);
- Description: EU programme for the Competitiveness of Enterprises and Small and Medium-sized Enterprises (SMEs) running from 2014 to 2020;
- Scope: The programme has been designed to promote entrepreneurship and entrepreneurial culture, as well as to improve framework conditions related to the competitiveness and sustainability of EU enterprises, in particular supporting SMEs to access funding and markets.
- Budget: €2.3 billion (over the 2014-2020 period);
- Description: European funding and support programme specifically dedicated to research-performing SMEs. Eurostars supports collaborative international research and the development of rapidly marketable innovative products, processes and services;
- Scope: With the assistance of this programme, companies can receive co-financing for R&D activities. Without limitations as to the technological field, the project must have a purpose aimed at the general public, whilst focusing on developing a new product, process or service.
- Budget: Eurostars is a joint venture between more than 30 EUREKA member countries and the European Union, with a total public budget of €1.2 billion (over the 2014-2020 period);
- Funding Intelligence: We provide a snapshot of funding possibilities from public grants, R, D & I frameworks and incentive appropriate for our clients' needs.
- Programme-Fit Assessment: We check whether a business case qualifies by carefully validating the match between our client’s project concept and the grant programme scope.